Ice-cream Cupcake Contest 2011 Entry: The Ice- Cream Maki

When I came across the Scoopalicious and Cupcake Project - Ice- Cream Cupcake Contest  I knew I wanted to enter! I saw the yummy and creative posts from the years gone by and I knew I would have to take a risk. My first instinct was to create a sweet spin on something savory!
 
This is my official entry post:

The Ice- Cream Maki



Inspired by Sushi, I made the following in to a sweet maki: White mini cupcake filled with Carrot Ice- Cream and Tapioca Bubbles frosted with Soy Sauce Cream Cheese Frosting, .

Recipe: Ice- Cream Maki

Materials
3 mini white/ vanilla cupcakes with half of the center cored
3 tablespoons of cream cheese frosting with a dash of soy sauce some white and some colored black (to look like seaweed)
1/4 cup Tapioca bubbles cooked ( to look like Caviar)
Carrot ice-cream to fill the center of the cupcake:
    1/2 cup heavy cream
    1 cup milk
    1 table spoon of flour
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/2 cup grated carrots (refrigerated)
Mix the milk and heavy cream with sugar and pour in to sauce pan. Reserve about 1/4 cup of milk mixture and dissolve flour. Add milk and flour back to sauce pan with stove on low heat. Stir mixture with a whisk occasionally. Allow to simmer for about 35 mins. Turn off stove and mix in grated carrots. Take mixture to your ice-cream freezer and follow its instructions.

Method
Remove paper from mini cupcakes and frost the sides with Black Soy Sauce Cream Cheese Frosting. Fill the center with carrot ice cream and smooth the surface. Use the back of a folk to smear White Soy Sauce Cream Cheese Frosting around the rim (to resemble rice). Add cooled Tapioca bubbles on the top. Two small drops of green frosting to resemble Wasabi.


I got a couple of questions about how the Soy Sauce Cream Cheese tasted and I must say it was a good combo in the right proportions. Together it all tasted great! You really can't go wrong with cake and ice-cream.

Go here if you want to see the other entries for this competition!

4 comments:

  1. Wow! These are definitely some of the most creative cupcakes I have ever seen. I love the idea of Soy Sauce Cream Cheese Frosting. Is it pretty salty?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Katie! I actually had to make the Soy Sauce Cream Cheese Frosting twice. The first time I added too much Soy Sauce which killed everything else, but the second I tasted as I added to ensure that it didn't become an over powering salty but still had hint of the flavor. It tasted pretty good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adorable! What a super cute idea for cupcakes. I'm also really intrigued by the idea of using tapioca bubbles as a filling...yum! :)

    ReplyDelete

Your contribution and comments to this experiment is a great catalyst. Thank you for your participation!

Search Lab Notebook